Thursday, August 13, 2009

thurs morning update

is it thurs already? This morning while we were waiting for the billy count to come back, Lukas' oxygen levels started getting a little low. not emergency low, not a hart time breathing, but he did need to go on 21% oxygen. that is basically room oxygen with a little more. he is going to be on it for 24 hours, then they will take him off and see how his levels are. If they are fine for 24 hours, then that problem will be solved.

the other problem is that the billy count came back and it is the same 11 that is was 12 hours ago.

then he has had a low platelet count since we got here. the first dr we saw, said it was not a problem. She thought it was from a virus I had while I was prego. Something he would grow out of.

But with all those things put together and the fact that I have had so many miscarriages, i'm Rh neg and that I am old (I was grateful he threw that in there, because I wasn't feeling bad enough) he thinks it has more to do with the pregnancy and lukas just needing more time to get over feeling bad. he says it is like a virus, he can treat the symptoms, but we just need to wait it out. he says it is not me, but all the reasons he listed for my baby being in the hospital seem to have everything to do with me.

we are in here another 48 hours at least. maybe 10-14 days. Maybe more. the new dr. just has no idea. They are taking more xrays and more blood. they want to rule out a heart mummer and infections. The dr does not think he has any of these, but he still wants to rule them out.
The problem is that with the platelet count being low that Lukas clots really easy or really fast. making it really hard to get blood. they had to take it from his veins this morning and he kept clotting, so they had 3 nurses in trying to help. not a situation that I am comfortable being in. that is why Jeff always takes the kids to the dentist, i don't handle situations like that well. maybe that is why another nurse had to walk me out of the room. i totally suck at this! Maybe we should have named him stone. Lukas is totally handling this better than me.


So bottom line is that we have no idea when we will get him home. Jeff is going to call work to see what they can do on taking some time off. My sister is coming in Saturday night (we were suppose to bond and spend time together), so that will help.

Lukas just got the oxygen 1/2 hour ago. The dr said it will help him feel better and sleep better. That I will see a good and happy difference. he goes back under the billy lights. And we just wait.

sorry to sound all over the place. I am still trying to understand it all and we are trying to figure out how to work our family around this situation.

2 comments:

Laura Looooo said...

keeeep being tough!!!!! cause i loveeeeeee you!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry katie . . .

My Guest Book! Check it out!