Monday, August 17, 2009

I learned my lesson...I hope

So remember that story about the couple who didn't have a car, but was on state aid? Well, I talked to them for a while last night. it turns out that the reason they don't have a car is because they are not from around here. they live about 4 hours away in 4 corners. she had preclamsia and they brought her down here because they don't have a hospital there that could accomidate her. They have both been down here since the start of July. she had to quit her job, so she could be with her baby. and he took a leave of absence so he could be with her and his baby.

They are living at the Ronald McDonald house and have to take the bus to get here everday. And they have been here everyday for each of her feedings (except for overnight). They are super nice people and I feel very bad for judging them. Bad! Bad! Bad! Katie! And to make me feel even worse, they offered me one of their doughnuts. of course I refused (mainly because I felt guilty and partly because I just eat a pack of doughnuts from the vending machine).

But the pot smoking mom is still a funny story (just not for the baby)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, how sad!

Christine Bushman said...

this happens more than you think...
in fact we were one of those people too. -- parents with a baby in the NICU without a place to stay, staying at RMCH. Jason was lucky enough to tranfer offices for the time we were there and still work, but family was 45 mins away and 3 hours away was the older 2 boys

My Guest Book! Check it out!