Sunday, August 9, 2009

Info on Lukas

So Lukas was taken to the NICU on thurs night for a high respitory rate. That turned into low temp and blood sugar.

As of Sunday afternoon we are still here. His blood sugar is still a little low, nothing major. They are hoping it goes up with more feedings. Of course he has choosen not to breast feed as of the past couple of feedings and will only take formula from a bottle. I am breast pumping right now and we keep trying to breast feed, but we will see. formula is better for blood sugar from what i am understanding anyway. I just hope when we get home he will breast feed again. I am sure it will be a pain,, but I really don't want to do formula right now.

Also, because I am RH neg all my children have had jaundice. lukas came down with it on saturday afternoon right before they were going to dicharge him. So we choose to keep him here under the billy lights until he gets better. He already when down in numbers but not enough. they are going to check his blood again tonight.

The Dr is still trying to discharge him for the mornig, but it all depends on if we can keep his sugar levels good and get his jaundicce numbers down. please keep him in your prayers. He is tired of being here and so am I.

The nurses and his doctor have been amazing. We are so blessed to be here where they care the way they do. he has been well taken care of.

I was discharged last night. They kept me here one more day, just so I could stay with the baby easier. But last night they made me up a bed (from a chair) so I could sleep between feedings and changings.

Jeff and the kids came down this afternoon. on sundays they let the siblings come in for 1 hour to see the baby. they couldn't hold him, but they could hold his hands, legs and give him kisses. they also brought me lunch and frozen dinners for latter. the nurse wants me to eat more calories. I have no problem with that. I can eat anything right now, it feels GREAT!!!

please keep Lukas in your prayers. We want him to be discharged soon. but he need him healthy to do so. Also, i cannot answer my cell phone in here, so I cannot return calls, i am sorry. Jeff is home tonight, but he plans on watching the Bills game with the kids, so I am sure he will not answer calls. Sorry.

thanks for you well wishes. We will be home soon and then we will have more baby pics.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Katie, it's totally normal for the baby to have low blood sugar, if you're nursing, before your milk comes in. My babies have been that way . . . the collostrum just doesn't do it for them--one reason they are so hungry. Don't let anything convince you that the breastfeeding won't work. I'm sure he'll pick up with it for you, even if you do have to express the milk for a while. Keep up the good work, momma! Take care of yourself.

Laura Looooo said...

i loveeeeeee you Lukassss! Get strong and come home sooooooon! <3

Unknown said...

Thanks Sara.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sara.

My Guest Book! Check it out!