Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Work, Work, Work.

So today around 4pm my neighbor across the street called and asked if I would take her daughter to volleyball at the middle school. Her other daughter was sick and she didn't want to leave her.

So I took her down at 5pm and picked her up at 8pm. Well she was 15 min late getting out, so we waited in the car. You would have thought I had wild animals fighting in the car the way my children were acting. I was so upset! So when we got home I made them pull all the weeds in my front yard (it looked good when we were done about 8:45 but it was a little dark, so we will see how good they did in the morning).

When we got home, they took a bath and came down stairs to watch the rest of our movie (I said about 15 min, because it was really late). A friend of mine called about 5 min into the movie, so I asked the kids if we could finish it tomorrow and if they could tuck themselves into bed, because I really needed to talk to this friend. I get crying and stomping and fighting all the way up the stairs. After I was off the phone I could still hear them playing upstairs, so I made them all come down and I gave them work to do. Logan cleaned the hallway and did a load of laundry. Kellsie folded laundry and cleaned off the kitchen table. And Jakob cleaned up the Laundry room and wiped down counters.

I just put them to bed and it is 11:21pm. Hopefully I wore them out with work, so they will sleep in tomorrow. I told them if they kept it up tomorrow they would have more work than just their normal chores. But I hold out hope. This was the first hard day we really had since school let out and it only started around 8pm.

I just have to say with all the extra work I gave them tonight, they didn't complain at all. I told them how proud of them I was for keeping a good attitude while they worked.

My siblings and I were all raised to work hard and I hope I raise my kids the same way. I love them and I want the best for them, but I also want them to work for it.

5 comments:

Highlander said...

Way to go!!! If you ever start a work camp for kids I have 5 to sign up--the kids today expect so much (including mine). You are a role model for us all.

Welcome to Newman's World said...

Hey Katie I have a question about Jeff being able to take pics at a sweet sixteen b-day??? $$$ email me please stacynew@att.net

Christine Bushman said...

welcome to the mean mommy club!!

Welcome to Newman's World said...

Love it you know me start them early.....lol

Melanie said...

Awesome way to handle it. You are too cool.

My Guest Book! Check it out!