Thursday, July 10, 2008

Girl Scout Day Camp Pictures


The first day of Girl Scouts was pirates. They did crafts (like the pirate eye patch that they decorated with pretty shinny things). This was my favorite day because I got to spend the most time with Kellsie (hence the reason I go).

They also learned compass, knives, fire, bananas and knots. The older girls did some dutch oven cooking.

The second Day was Shipwrecked Day. Kellsie cut up one of her old Tshirt and messed up her hair and put "Fake" dirt on her face and leaves in her hair. I was really proud of her dressing up silly. She use to only dress up as long as she looked cute, but she is more comfortable with her self now and can dress silly and still be ok with how she looks.

During the first and second day we take time for Units. That is where the girls get in their age groups (Brownies and Juniors) and work on badges. Laurel and I ran the Junior Units. The first day we did Fun in the Out Doors. They learned a little First Aid, What to do in case of an emergency, How to take care of the environment when you are camping, Songs, Games and Knots (thanks to the Cadettes).


The second Day we worked on the Citizen Badge (this badge also helps earn the Sign of the Rainbow). They learned how to do a flag ceremony (thanks to the Cadettes), They learned history on the National Anthem and Pledge (Laurel did great on that). I taught them about Rights and Responsibilities of living in this Country, and About being a good neighbor. I also talked with them about how to voice their concerns (protest) if they don't like what is going on in their community.

We also needed to do one service project for this badge. I asked the Humanitarian Aid Group that I go to on Thursdays to make some quilt tops for the Girl Scouts to Tie. Our Humanitarian Aid Group is making a whole bunch of blankets for the VA Hospital here. So they made ) 6 blankets for us to work on. Most of the girls really had a lot of fun working on these. This is the second time our troop has done this. Two other troops want to start working with the Humanitarian Aid group in tying quilts for the VA and for the Hospital. I think this is great! Three of the Ladies from Church (Dixie, Elsie and Debbie) also came up to help teach the girl how to do them. THANKS LADIES!

Today was the last day and It was Cruise Ship Day. Some of us wore grass skirts and flower bras (that is right, I included me in that sentence. Are you impressed or scared?). I took one picture of me in it and you will never see it! The girls did Karaoke, learned how to do the Hula and watch a video I made of all the pictures I took the first couple of days.

I loved going to Day camp and I had a lot of fun. Kellsie said she loved every bit of it, except for painting with the dead fish...

She is also upset that her favorite Cadette "Red" is moving. She gave her my email address, so she can keep in touch. So Sad.

3 comments:

Highlander said...

Awesome-- I am so jealous of all th4e fun stuff you are doing. Keep up the great work!

Melanie said...

Sounds like so much fun for you and your daughter. What a great experience! Missed you at workshop yesterday. It's cool that more and more people want to get involved and that the ladies came to teach. Way awesome.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why my daughter thinks she is a gangster.

My Guest Book! Check it out!