Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Conference

So twice a year our church has a General Conference. It is held in Salt Lake City, but it is also broad casted on TV. They start with two sessions on Saturday and two sessions on Sunday. I forgot to tape Saturday's because I was at Judo with Logan and it slipped my mind, but as a family we all sat down and watched Sundays.

This was an amazing conference for a lot of reasons, but the main one is that our new Prophet President Thomas S. Monson spoke to us. President Hinckley died at the start of the year, and President Monson took his place a week after.

It was amazing to hear our Prophet and the 12 apostles speak to us on so many gospel principals. One talk was on prayer. He said how sometimes we can become relaxed as we pray and start staying the same things without any meaning. He said after we pray we should take action toward our prayer. If we pray that we have more money, we should focus on better education and better job, so the Lord can bless us in our efforts. I really liked that talk, and I am trying to be better at saying meaningful prayers.

The other talk I really, really, really liked was the last one on Sunday about mothers. He talked about mothers making sure that we spend quality time with our children. He said sometimes we worry about getting everything done, that we lose the special moments with our children. I am totally guilty about that. yesterday I worked really hard on spending quality time with the kids and not so much about cleaning the house.

He also went on to say that as mothers we need to take time for ourselves. Do 1 or 2 activities that we really like. He mentioned not being able to get water from a dry well and that if we don't replenish ourselves and make our selves strong and happy, that we will not be the best mothers to our children. I am very bad at this. But I am going to get better. I just have to remember to take time for myself.

And another thing he said was to limit our Internet and TV time. I am really bad at this, especially the Internet part (as I am currently typing on my blog). He says we can spend too much time doing nothing. I agree! Now I have to put it into action!

Conference was amazing. The spirit was strong! I loved hearing the Prophet bear testimony of the Savior. He asked us to be kind with other people, their thoughts and religions. He asked us to have homes that are safe from the outside world. To make our homes a safe place for our children to be. I love that! I also love that my children were able to see and gain a testimony of President Monson.

2 comments:

Welcome to Newman's World said...

I also loved the talks I really felt that they were talking to me in alot of area's it was wonderful to see the change that has been made and the love and support they show each of us....

Melanie said...

I liked this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We were so amazed to hear President Monson speak. In the past I remember him being more soft spoken. This time he seemed to speak with so much power, like he'd really taken on the mantle as prophet. Really amazing.

My Guest Book! Check it out!