Wednesday, March 26, 2008

600 pounds of flour

Those of you who know me, know I don't get embarrassed too much. Years of child raising have numbed me to those horrible events, but I did feel a little crazy yesterday at the store.

My friend Gina called (she lives in Los Alamos 2 hours away). She keeps me updated on the grocery store adds. She says one of the grocery stores here has a 5lb bag of flour for 99 cents. WHAT??? that is amazing! Four is going up in price and so I HAVE TO GO BUY SOME FLOUR.

Gina was planning on coming into Albuquerque last night because she and her hubby are going to CA for the week and she was sleeping over to fly out today. She was going to stop by that store and pick up flour.

I went to the store as well and called her and told her I would pick up her flour to save her a trip. I asked how much she needed or wanted. 100.00 worth and I had wanted 20.00 worth. Totalling 600 lbs.

I cleared out their shelves and asked for a rain check on more. They had some still in the back to they came out with shrink wrapped flour. They loaded up 2 carts and helped me load my car. EVERYONE kept looking AT ME!

But hey after you can it, you can keep it for 3-5 years. Who's laughing now! Of course I didn't tell any of the starring people that. I just told everyone my friend made a lot of bread. Which is true.

HATS OFF TO YOU, MY FRIEND GINA. You rock! I hope I don't get compared to you on judgement day...I would fall very short.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be like Gina when I grow up.

Christine Bushman said...

you're not the only one who did that.....ME did too.


Want to look in my frezzer!!

Highlander said...

You made me laugh so hard. I can picture you and the carts of flour. I can't even plan ahead enough to know what is for dinner let alone what I could make with 600 lbs of flour

The Orrellys Family said...

I sooooo wish I could have been there to see that!. The last time I even bought flour was at Christmas! Jeff's a lucky man!

Gina said...

Katie, I think you get more points in heaven for actually dragging your kids to the store, enduring the questioning stares and spending all the money, hoping your friend will be together enough to remember her check book, then you do for checking the grocery ads and sending your friend to do the dirty work, you are way ahead of me, I'm sneaking in behind you and Laurel when we get to judgment, please wear puffy skirts when you die so I can hide behind them.

Melanie said...

Wow. I'm sorry I missed that sale. Good for you guys for being on it. I'm getting a little freaked out over food storage, mainly because I don't have anyway. All these years I've been convinced I was off the hook because apartment living isn't conducive to that sort of thing but you've since convinced me otherwise (we talked about it at the ward couples night). So I'm going to get started. Thanks for showing me the light.

Laura Looooo said...

someday...my cousins are going to be embarassed when they hear some of the crazy things you did..... lol... but all in all... you are lots of fun... and they know that <3

Alison said...

A sale on flour and I missed it? How did that happen?? Where was it? No, wait, I don't want to know.

My Guest Book! Check it out!