Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve Traditions

On Christmas Eve, after we eat dinner we act out the Nativity Story. We had this tradition when I was growing up and I really liked it (not so much my teenage years, but I still did it). I have all the costumes from when I was younger and I have added to them over the years.

Kellsie likes to be Mary. Logan varies between Joseph and a Shepard. Last year Jakob and myself were the innkeepers. And Jeff is the Narrator and the Donkey. Jeff and I also take turns with being wise men and Shepard's as we don't have enough in our family to play all the parts.

Then afterwards we each take some paper and write one or more gifts we can give the Savior this year. Things like, being kinder to my brother or sister. Praying more and things like that. After we are done writing, we fold the papers and put them in a special stocking that is just for the Savior. We have never opened them. I think that might be one of my favorite parts. You see the kids always need help writing their gift down, so I get a sneak peek at what my children are thinking about.

Right before bed, each of us gets to open a gift, and it is always PJ's. That way on Christmas morning, when we are taking the pictures the kids are always dressed in clothes that will not cause us emotional stress.

On Christmas morning when the kids wake up, they can't do down stairs until they hear the Polka music. Yes, I know. And you did read that right. Jeff has this polka music that he plays only on Christmas eve (unless he listens to it on his way to work). That reminds me, I don't know where the CD is, I had better start looking.

Christmas Eve is tomorrow and I can't wait. My kids are really excited and it is hard not to get excited with them.

The next post will be pics of the kids on Christmas Eve and on Christmas. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

No comments:

My Guest Book! Check it out!