Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Homemaker my butt!

So I used to have dreams...dreams of being a stay at home mom. Having dinner on the table when my man got home. Having a clean house. Happy kids.

WHATEVER!
Well, today I face my fears, I just suck as a homemaker. I hate cleaning. I avoid it at all costs! I wish I could keep a clean house, but it never makes it the whole day. Most of the time it doesn't even make it an hour!
And the cooking!!!! I know I joke about not being able to cook (so does Jeff) but I can't! I try. I try. I try. I can cook a couple of things here and there. But on the whole I suck.
EXAMPLE: Today I wake up not feeling well (just swollen, cranky, tired, prego). But I decide that I am still going to be a good mom and have a semi clean house ( I was just trying for the down stairs. I have given up on the upstairs). So I went to the store with the kids to get the items I needed to make treats for the kids during the week.
Today I was going to make my own syrup for snow cones out of Koo laid and Sugar. Found a recipe online, three steeps, easy!
WHATEVER!
It turned out so thick that we couldn't even use it. So I thought I would make Carmel Apples for after dinner (because I felt so bad at messing up the snow cones). Well they look horrible. I think I should have let Jakob dip them, I think he would have done a better job.
After that mess up I thought I would try and make monkey bread for dessert. Found another EASY recipe. Put it in the oven... I then took out the bread when the fire alarms went off! Yep, the syrup overflowed and smoke was everywhere! AT least I know that when the kids hear the alarm they run outside. I guess I could have called it a fire drill. They all passed with flying colors. The top of the bread looked great. Golden brown, but when I flipped it, the dough was still dough. And of course I couldn't get it back in the pan to cook it again.
So I started dinner. Nice and easy spaghetti.
WHATEVER!
I put the garlic bread back in the oven and the syrup from the monkey bread started smoking again. Alarms went off and smoke filled the air. I hear Jakob yell "Fire" and then Logan say "no, it's just mom cooking".
My day sucked! And I get to get up in the morning and do it all again. After 11 years of marriage you think I could cook without setting off the fire alarms.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I would've given up after the syrup. You're such a good mom. And your mothering style inspires others (me anyway).

Welcome to Newman's World said...

You know what Katie you might feel that way now but Guess what you might not cook, clean or make goodies but YOU ARE A GREAT MOM!!! no one ever said you have to be perfect on all these things to be a great mom.. You do so much for your kids and you have a great hubby and thats all you need. There's always Walmart for goodies and guess what if your house is a little messed up I'm sure the kids had a great time doing that. so smile and say I am A GREAT MOM who cares about the rest!!!

My Guest Book! Check it out!