Sunday, August 3, 2008

My class is growing on me

So I teach Sunday School at church. I teach the 12-14 year olds. I had a really rocky start this year. I have some hard kids and I was struggling to keep them under control.

Anyways today's lesson was on Self Mastery. I started the lesson showing a picture of a 2009 Mustang. I asked if they would like on of their own, if they would like to drive it and so on. I then asked them if they would like to drive it if it didn't have brakes. Of course the boys said yes, but that is not the point. The quote that went along with the car picture was "A person without Self Mastery is like a car without brakes"

We talked about how Christ in the garden prayed that the pain would be taken away, but that He would do his Father's will. We likened it to some of the things we do in this life. We fast once a month (giving up food and water for 2 meals). And even though we enjoy food, we want the greater blessing of peace that comes with that type of fasting. And so on.

At the end of the lesson we read a scripture in Proverbs that talked about us being a city without walls if we are not Master's of ourselves. So I divide them up in groups
(per the lesson) and had them come up with their own Proverbs using the begging of the lesson as an example.

"A Person without Self Mastery is like _____________________" (In the begging of the lesson the line went " A Person without Self Mastery is like a car without brakes")

The team that came up with the best proverb won a candy bar next week.

Team one said " A Person without self Mastery is like a cookie without choc. chips"

Team two said" A Person without self mastery is like a world without a Prophet"

Team three said "A person without self mastery is like church without Sister Giras" (that's me)

Of course I am bringing them all candy bars, but the last one is my favorite! Suck ups!

3 comments:

Highlander said...

A person without self mastery is like lifetime without ever knowing a true friend. Do I get a candy bar too??? Really, thank for your friendship.

Laura Looooo said...

hahaha... i freakin loveeeee you Auntieeee Giras <3

barb said...

Katie, TI will kep you and Kelsie in prayers,Very sorry for all medical and financial The Lord will help you thu this ,If I can help in some way I will I'm also poor but willing to help God Bless and Take Care. Roxie's Mom Barb

My Guest Book! Check it out!