Thursday, October 8, 2009

Adding new things

At dinner time we always ask the kids the same question. Tell us one good thing and one bad thing that happened to you today. We used to ask how their day was, but we always got "FINE!". Now we find out a whole bunch of stuff. I love it.

Well last Saturday and Sunday was our LDS General Conference. That is where our Prophet and the 12 Apostles speak to us. President Monson spoke about a friend of his that would ask their kids what they did to help someone that day. I thought it was brilliant.

So starting Sunday night at dinner I added that question to the list. They really had to think. Most of the answers were " I hugged you today" or " I gave you a kiss" I took the answers, but told them I wanted them to really try to do more the following day.

The next day I got things that they did for each other. So I told them the following day I wanted them to do something nice for someone outside of our family.

Today Logan told me that he helped a kid who wasn't good at tether ball, learn how to play better. Kellsie said she made cupcakes for our neighbors and for Trisha's family. Jakob couldn't think of anything. But then Kellsie and Logan jumped in with all the things Jakob did today that were nice. Jakob felt great! Kellsie and Logan felt great! I had happy kids, so I felt great!

I LOVE THIS QUESTION!!!

And what did I do for someone else today? Well I went to Humanitarian Aid and made a bunch of blankets to go to the Philippians. We are taking the blankets on Saturday to be shipped to Salt Lake City. They will intern ship them to where they will do the most good.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

And you brought things to me. Thank you! And thank you sweet Kellsie for the cupcakes!!!!! They were delicious!

My Guest Book! Check it out!