Thursday, July 5, 2012

canning

A couple of my friends had apricot and peach trees that had too my fruit on them. They asked if we wanted any. We took the kids over and picked boxes of fruit! Then starts the canning process. For those of you who have canned, it takes a lot of time and it is hard work. Over the years I have taught the kids to can and this past week of canning, they have been AMAZING!



Logan and Jakob wanted to make apricot/strawberry syrup. They pitted, cleaned and pureed the fruit. Then they boiled it and canned it by them selves. Of course I supervised, but I really just reminded them of the process. They did ALL The work. I was so proud of them!


The Syrup tasted great! We have had waffles or pancakes all week, just so we could use it!



I didn't take any pictures of Kellsie canning, because I forgot, but here she is taking care of Zoe while the boys are making their syrup. Kellsie made peach/ strawberry freezer jam all by herself. WOW! So good!

It has been hard during lunch time to pick what jam to put on the sandwiches. Peach/strawberry, apricot/strawberry or apricot.

Don't forget Lukas. This boy worked hard too! We gave him a table knife and he sat around the table taking out apricot pits too! He got most of them in the bowls. We had to be careful, because if he dropped one on the floor it would be a race. A race to see who could get to the fallen apricot first...me or Zoe.


This little angel was so good while we canned. Mostly because we kept giving her apricots and peaches to eat!

Thanks kids. We had a great time canning.

And not to forget Jeff. The second wave of canning he was off work. He helped peal, cute and pit most of the peaches. Helped make leather and dried apricots. Thanks Jeff. Would have taking a lot longer without you!

No comments:

My Guest Book! Check it out!